Saturday, June 28, 2008

Wheeeeeee.

My plans may be a changin' in a hurry. Of course, you'll know when I know.
I had yesterday off - it was nothing earth shattering, but a pretty good day nonetheless. I hung around the house for a while, really did nothing in particular. Oh, I got The Ten Commandments on Netflix - it's such a ridiculously awesome cheesy movie. It's well known for its anachronisms - like the safety pin on Baby Moses' diaper, and the frickin' wristwatch on Moses' arm - so that's always a fun part of watching the movie. Then Sam came over, we chatted, had a couple drinks, whatever. Fairly decent day as far as days off go.
Other than that, I really have nothing to say. We'll see as I get this train a'rollin - which is a perfect segue into my "picture post of the day":

Photobucket

It's a beautiful day here in Madison - a lot cooler than it has been the past couple of days. I've got all the windows open, the house to myself (as Tim's going to Milwaukee to pick up his girlfriend, who's flying in from Calgary today), and...I'm wasting the late morning/early afternoon on the computer.

There's a lot of political garbage flying back and forth between the Obama and McCain camps. This is what I despise about politics - it'd be so hilarious and entertaining if the results didn't have such serious implications on the future of the good ol' US of A.
Democratic bloggers are making a huge issue of the "McCain doesn't know how to use a computer" story. Yes, it's relevant, but only in the "The first George Bush doesn't know how much a gallon of milk costs." I'm not sure how to explain it any more than that - I'm only saying that it's not very high up there on my "reasons I won't vote for McCain" list. (Which is fairly long - his illegal manipulation of the public financing system being one of many.) But the pseudo-controversy does spawn some pretty funny pictures from the Internet:

Photobucket

I will jump into the whole "McCain made a joke about beating his wife!" discussion. While it might have been inappropriate (and slightly reminiscent of GWB's awkward "Filipinos remember to cut the crust off of my PB&J" (not a direct quote) comment - see the previous post if you're confused), I'm not going to jump all over him for this one. For those of you who don't feel like clicking on the article, McCain was asked why he didn't choose the Republican governor of Nevada, Jim Gibbons, to chair his Nevada campaign:

"Maybe it's the governor's approval rating and you are running from him like you are from the president?"

McCain: "(Chuckling) And I stopped beating my wife just a couple of weeks ago . . . "

Let's stop getting all hyper-sensitive and understand that this is an old joke. McCain was responding to what we call a LOADED QUESTION - the joke being "Have you stopped beating your wife?" is impossible to answer, because it assumes that at a point in time, the questionee (not a word, whatever) did beat his wife. Therefore, either answer ("yes" or "no") is inappropriate for the situation. We should maybe be concerned that McCain doesn't seem to understand that this type of answer is inappropriate, but we should also fight against this type of bias from the media, as the question itself is designed to make the recipient look bad. In this sense, the media has stepped out of its role of reporting the news, and turns themself into an entity which creates the news.

Both sides have their problems and play their blame-games - Republicans love the phrase "..b-b-b-but CLINTON!" while a lot of Democrats will be quite disappointed when they realize that our culture has contributed to a lot of our problems - not necessarily all the fault of George W. Bush - and on the same side of the token, there are a lot of things that a President Obama wouldn't be able to fix.
I know I'm rambling (which I'm actually quite good at), so I'll move on. I seem to have an issue with forming a coherent thought today. I'll just throw some pictures at you, hope it gives you a giggle (or a good, long cry, like the following one), and we'll see from there.

Photobucket

This is a real coupon. You've got to be kidding me.

Photobucket

And, with no real point or purpose, just things I found hilarious:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Whew. Enough of that.

Book review of the day - High School Confidential: Secrets of an Undercover Student, by Jeremy Iversen. I'd link the Amazon page, but no one's posted reviews or anything, so it wouldn't really be worth anyone's time, would it? Although it might not be worth Amazon's time, it should certainly be worth yours, if you're the type of reader who can get through the realities of what high school is today. In short, the 27 year old Iversen posed as a senior at a high school in California, and wrote a book. Hooray. Seriously, it was a good read (I went through it in a day and a half), while at the same time, a bit scary if you're interested in such minor details as, say, the future of our country. But don't take my word for it!

Seriously, I can't think today - I don't even know why I'm posting, other than not to disappoint my adoring fan base.
/yawwwn....what else?

Oh, here's something cool - What would London look like in the year 2090, a time when (apparently) rising sea levels have flooded the city?

And an interesting step in video game art - characters and such are put into their real life settings. Again, my brain is halfway shut down, so I know I'm not describing it as best as I can, just click and look.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It reminds me of another similar set - the Mike Tyson's Punch-Out Art page.

I've added a new page element to the blog, just because I think it's kindof cool. The blog roll on the right side gives snippets of the latests posts from the blogs I'm reading.
Well, that's about it out of me. Time to go...eh...whatever.

No comments: