Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas!

But since it's been a while since I've seriously blogged, I suppose it's time to get down to business, as the kids say.
Yes, I'm sitting at home on Christmas night. I headed up to Milwaukee yesterday to spend some time with the family, and had to come back to Chicago tonight as I have to be at work at 7 tomorrow morning. Christmas was good - it was pretty low-key, as usual. My brother, my mom, and I worked on this huge crossword puzzle from one of the Toronto papers:

Photobucket

I helped make dinner this afternoon, which was a really nice beef tenderloin with mashed potatoes, mushrooms, and taffy apple salad. I seared off the steaks and ransacked my mom's cabinets and refrigerator for something to go with it - I ended up making a quick mushroom stock out of button mushroom stems, some carrots, celery, and onions, and a pinch of this "Italian seasoning" stuff, sauteing sliced button mushrooms in the pan I seared the steaks, deglazing with the mushroom stock, throwing in a couple of beef bouillion cubes, reducing, and mounting it with a cubic ton of butter, and it turned out pretty well. Otherwise, my brother and I watched basketball (have I mentioned how much I hate the pro game yet?) and we opened presents and all of that. Did I mention I got an iPod nano? My reaction was somewhat like this (I know, it's old, but whatever, it's still funny.):



And hey, as long as we're on the Christmas topic, let's see what good ol' Mike Huckabee has to say about it:



No amount of Mr. Rogers sweaters or subtle crucifixes in the background will make me believe that this commercial is about nothing but getting votes. Seriously, Mikey, the entire country generally isn't as stupid as Arkansas.

What does Charlie Brown have to say about Christmas?



Shut up. Four years later, it's still funny to me.

One last thing for you kids. I was stumbling around the internet last night and came across NORAD Santa. Let's first discuss what NORAD is doing wasting their time and energy on a site that tracks Santa while he delivers presents. I dunno, but shouldn't they be...um..."...continuously provid[ing] worldwide detection, validation and warning of a ballistic missile attack on North America and maintain[ing] continental detection, validation, warning and aerospace control of air-breathing threats to North America, to include peacetime alert levels and appropriate aerospace defense measures to respond to hostile actions against North America"? (Thank you, Wikipedia!) "Continuously...unless Santa's coming!"
So ANYWAYS, I came across this site, and on Christmas Eve, the map was updating every five minutes to alert its viewers of where "Santa" was at the moment. And can you believe the places where the United States government allows Santa to deliver presents?

Photobucket

No, that isn't in the slightest bit photoshopped. Thank you, PRINTSCREEN!
"Ho ho ho! Random-probably-not-terrorist, what do you want for Christmas?"
"Um...can I go back home to my family?"
"Uh...how about a Nintendo Wiiiiiii! Merrrrrry Christmas!"

So, um, I think someone might have screwed up on that one.
If that whole thing isn't enough of a waste, our tax dollars are also going to create videos of Santa's journey!
But there's still no money for body armor.

Oh! I finally saw the Simpsons movie (on the train ride home tonight, on my brand new iPod Nano). It was pretty good. Also, I'm currently reading three books at once: What is the What by Dave Eggers (very good), The Pirate Coast by Richard Zacks (good), and Stiffs by Mary Roach (creepy, but really interesting).

Hope you all had a great one!

No comments: