Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Half man, half bearpig.

It's January. My heat is off. My windows are open. And somewhere (probably in a cave in Tennessee), Al Gore is doing the "I told you so" dance. That's three straight days of 50 degree plus temperatures. In January.

I'm currently reading Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. It's really good if you're into that kind of thing, although the language gets a little pretentious. I'm terrible at describing plot lines, so just go look it up on Amazon or something.

Can I just go ahead and say how tired I am of people taking insignificant cell phone calls on the bus? Having ridden a lot of buses and trains in my time, I've noticed that the biggest perpetrators tend to be in the upper-middle age bracket, let's say, 50+. And I have a theory about this. (Bear with me, I'm only halfway through my first cup of coffee.) We're at a time when technology is exploding, to the point where 20 years ago, people couldn't even fathom some of the things that are available now. So when something like a cell phone hits its tipping point (thank you, Malcolm Gladwell), technology moves too fast for the minds that create it, and we begin to believe that just because something can be used, means that it should be used (kindof like, say, cloning). And I mainly assign the blame to that particular demographic because they understand what a huge leap this is for us, whereas people my age (25) and younger have never really lived without cell phones or had to research a paper using encyclopedias. So half of your conversations turn into "Hi! I'm on the bus!" (meaning "Hi! Can you believe I'm calling you from the bus?!? Let's use this awesome technology to annoy everyone around me!")

So Obama trounced both Hillary and Edwards the other night. I'm currently undecided, but the whole spectacle is really fascinating as Clinton continues to lose points in New Hampshire (latest results - Obama 42, Hillary 29). I'll keep watching.

And this is interesting - the BBC's "100 Things We Didn't Know Last Year."

Anyways. Time to run some errands, finish my laundry, and then Tim's coming. We'll probably spend the afternoon being huge dorks and watching National Treasure or playing Goldeneye or something.

No comments: