Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hooray, Bears win.
I'm feeling kindof "eh" today. Everything's good, I just feel oddly sick...my head is swimming a bit and I feel like I can't catch up and wake up. I tried to get out of the house for a bit, but that didn't help too much either. Maybe I need a nap, maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was up until 4 AM...who knows.
As I mentioned in my last post, I was in Iowa with the bride-to-be Catharine on Wednesday/Thursday. It was a good trip. We drove into Waterloo, I got to see the country club where the wedding is being held, and got a glimpse of the kitchen so I could mentally set up the line and had a meeting with the chef and manager of the club to discuss the menu. Some things on the menu stayed, some left, but overall we're pretty happy with the menu.
I've been taking a look at some of the polling sites a LOT over the last week. I don't know what the folks over at DailyKos have been smoking, but their map has Obama winning Montana, North Dakota, and Georgia, as well as the very-close states of West Virginia and Missouri. I think that'd be the absolute best Dems could hope for, but I really think it's unrealistic. Maybe he'll take West Virginia and Missouri (fivethirtyeight has the chances of that happening at 41% and 64%, respectively), but I think it'd take a serious stroke of luck to take all five. Assuming wins for Obama in Virginia, Florida, Ohio, Nevada, Indiana, and North Carolina as well (as dailykos does), this would put him at 401 electoral votes to McCain's 127, a number that hasn't been reached by any candidate since Bush in 88, oddly enough. I think a more realistic number is 375. Nevertheless, that's the idealist's best-case scenario.
The map is getting harder and harder for McCain. He needs to hang on to red states - and evidenced by the tightening in Missouri, North Dakota, Indiana, West Virginia, etc, etc, it's looking much more difficult for him.
On another note, Obama's going to be in Madison on Thursday at noon. We're definitely going. Apparently people from the restaurant are trying to contact his campaign to get him in for dinner with us, but it's incredibly doubtful (at least, in my opinion). But how cool would that be?

No comments: