Sunday, April 6, 2008

Another lazy Sunday...

As the headline suggests, it's been a fairly slow weekend. I've been going out at night, but my days have been stuffed with a whole lotta nothin' - wandering around Madison (and attempting not to get lost), reading, doing the crossword puzzle - nothing seriously of interest.
My old college roommate Umaar was in town last night, and we headed over to the Local Tavern for Spotted Cow and reminiscing (can you believe I spelled that right on the first shot? Neither can I.). It was, to use a phrase favored by a couple of my coworkers, "Sconnie to the max." And all of you who've spent a significant amount of time in this state should have a grasp of what I mean by that.
In case you weren't aware, today is National Tartan Day, the red-headed stepchild of St. Patrick's Day, commemorating the signing of the Treaty of Arbroath in 1320, which "asserted Scotland's sovereignity over English territorial claims," and gave those of us with a very weak Scottish heritage connection an excuse to drink our weights in whiskey (hey, I guess it's got more in common with St. Patrick's Day than I thought!). As I've got the house to myself until Tim gets back from Canada tomorrow, I've been celebrating on my own by wearing a kilt I fashioned out of old flannel sheets. I was considering limiting my vocabulary exclusively to lines from Sean Connery movies, but didn't have the motivation (or the knowledge). Despite how little I've been out today, it'd still be pretty difficult. Like my mom would call and ask how my job was going, and I could say "In retrospect, I would rather have been a poet. Or a farmer." But the day wouldn't be complete until I gott a chance to use "You the man now, dog!", and there's not much call for that line nowadays. So, alas, my dreams remain unfulfilled.
Woot. Only...ugh...sixteen more days until the Pennsylvania primary. I'm really trying to ignore this whole debacle, but like everyone else in the blogosphere who thinks their words actually have some meaning, I feel slightly obligated to weigh in if only to voice my frustration. As the calls for Hillary's quittin' time get louder and louder (which will continue despite the expected win in PA), I really believe that the Dems are looking at a weakened party headed into November. Not to deny Sen. Clinton her constitutional right to continue as long as she wishes (although her finances have dried up to the point where her campaign has stopped paying health insurance premiums - one reason why she's such a big proponent of universal health care?), but I wish she'd just get out, already. It's time.
So I don't have to ramble on and on about this, here's a few quick videos that illustrate some of her logic:







So, there's that, and that's it.

No comments: