Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Diversionary tactics.

Because I'm procrastinating like whoa (see also: "I think he IS from the future!").

Seriously, the past few days have been incredibly dull - I feel badly even wasting your time by posting this. I've been off of work ('tis the season for people to eat at home, I guess) and therefore spending my time playing xBox, doing the crossword puzzle, and lying on my bedroom floor staring at the ceiling. Tim got me watching "The West Wing," so I've also been doing that.

So, as the current state of my life has become not much more than waiting for my turn to play "Return to Castle Wolfenstein," I'll throw some links your way. (I know you might be saying, "Nate, you used to write about actual things. Hasn't your blog become just another one of those wastes-of-bandwidth in which the 'author' regurgitates the same garbage that every other blog does and blames it on the fact that he's 'feeling uncreative today,' as if there are any days when he actually is creative, and for some reason, feels the need to lie to all three of his regular readers (even though they all know it's just a facade) because he wants them to think that he can actually come up with an original thought once in a while?" The answer is, I never wrote about actual things, and shut up. On we go.)

I don't know why I'm on the impeachbush.org mailing list. I don't mean to knock down the little idealism that could possibly be left in this world, but Bush and Cheney will never be impeached. Not that I don't believe they deserve to be, but our year-old Democratic-majority Congress seems to be missing a backbone. They're taking the Gerald Ford it-won't-be-good-for-the-country approach and saying "Good job on electing a Democratic majority! Oh...you believed us when we said we'd change things? Um...about that...LOOK OVER THERE!" And we, the gullible voters of America, look in the direction of Nancy Pelosi's bony outstretched index finger, while she and the rest of the Dems run the other way.
Anyways, I was saying. Something about impeachment. Oh yeah! Bush and Cheney haven't been impeached, but the town of Brattleboro, Vermont has passed a resolution calling for their arrest should they ever step foot inside the city limits. (If there's any way for a town of 8,300 people to make world headlines/money, this could be it, but my cynicism digresses...). From
the email:

"...Shall the Selectboard instruct the Town Attorney to draft indictments against President Bush and Vice President Cheney for crimes against our Constitution, and publish said indictments for consideration by other authorities and shall it be the law of the Town of Brattleboro that the Brattleboro Police, pursuant to the above-mentioned indictments, arrest and detain George Bush and Richard Cheney in Brattleboro if they are not duly impeached, and prosecute or extradite them to other authorities that may reasonably contend to prosecute them?" The people of Brattleboro answered, "yes!"

The indictment means that Bush and Cheney can be arrested for criminal acts should they ever enter Brattleboro. The indictment would go into effect after Bush and Cheney leave office.

The Brattleboro resolution is becoming a powerful organizing model for cities and towns around the country. The impeachment movement has sunk deep roots throughout this country. The people of the United States are demanding not only that the Constitution be restored, but that the President, Vice President and other officials be held accountable for committing high crimes and misdemeanors.

The Brattleboro resolution shows that even where Congressional representatives are refusing to follow the majority sentiment demanding impeachment, that the people themselves can take action."

I don't know, I suppose it's a start - I've never been a big fan of symbolic actions, though.

Speaking of politics, most of you who aren't brain dead know that Hillary Clinton was the big winner in the primaries last night. Obama did take the aforementioned Vermont and is projected to clean up huge in the Texas caucus, so that's nice. So last night was my couch-and-politics party, which is exactly what it sounds like - me sitting on the couch, watching the West Wing, and checking the scores every five minutes.

You can thank those crazy Belgians (via Ms. Kimberly Pike) for this one:
Dinner in the Sky, which you might fancy if you've got an extra ten thousand or so euros just burning a hole in your pocket. Oh yeah, it helps to be okay with heights, as your table is suspended 50 meters in the air:

Photobucket

More pictures on the website, and that's all my rambling for now.

No comments: